Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Hairspray

Yesterday, I watched Hairspray with my mum. It was an amazing adaptation of the broadway musical, hairspray. This starstudded film has left me wanting to watch the film over and over again. I was amazed at John Travalta's portrayal as Edna, Tracy's Mum. The music was awesome too. Michelle Pfeiffer sang 2 songs and i must admit that I can actually sing better than her monotonous singing lol. All of them sing really well. I was so surprised to see a different acting side of James Marsden (remember cyclops of x-men? that's him). I've always seen him as one of those hunky drama actor. Seeing him in this musical, singing and dancing, shows that he is really more than just a hunk. Amanda Bynes who plays Tracy's bestfriend does not sing as good as others but is very natural in acting. Christopher Walken another major actor in this show was just really good. I loved his singing. Zac Efron well, is better in Hairspray than his disney movie, high school musical. Queen Latifah could've done better acting but when she sang the song during her march for racial integration, "I know where I've been", left me crying. I felt tingles when she was singing that song. The person who portrayed Tracy, Nikki Blonsky, was really good and very natural. She has a very good singing voice. I wonder if she's the original Tracy in the broadway tho.

The main theme of the song is acceptance. First, Tracy is this plus sized girl who wants to dance at the Corny Collins show. Because Dancing was her dream, she fought hard for it even tho she knows she won't fit in because of her weight. However, because she's very good in dancing, people's reaction diverted from weight to her talent. Another is the racial segregation. This musical was based on the 1960s where racism was rampant. There would be a negro day which is a corny collins show for the black people. But Queen Latifah fought for racial integration, not segregation. Because Tracy has a big heart and saw the unfairness behind it, she helped with the campaign, in fact it was tracy who suggested to march when she found out that negro day will be taken out. Apart from all the troubles and all, at the end, every one came to accept each and every one's differences.

No comments: